Monday, November 21, 2016

The Plight of Motherhood

I have no idea what it is like to love something with every fiber of your being. To exist in a cognitive state that tells your brain there is truly nothing you would not do for this other human. I cannot imagine the anguish that accompanies such profound desire to protect something so entirely and yet being able to control a fraction of what you feel you need to. On the other side, I also have not yet experienced the pure elation that comes from witnessing the child you gave birth to enjoying and growing in the world around them. I cannot envision the pride one must feel while watching what they cherish most in the world achieve his or her dreams and turn around to face you and thank you for making it all possible. I cannot imagine what it is like to hold your newborn baby to your breast for the very first time and by looking into their eyes instantly discover that you are holding the star that keeps your heart beating.
The expression of motherhood within Beloved is one of profound sacrifice and longing. Mothers deprived access to their children; mothers pushed to the point of murdering her babies - seeing it as the only way to truly save them. This is not the relationship that any young girl envisions for herself as she grows into a woman, and yet it was the fate of millions of women in our country and it happened on the very soil from which our lives flourish. We must face this fact. My heart bursts with sadness and anger but only in the forms of empathy. I sit from my detached, privileged throne and simply learn about racism rather than having to experience it every single day. Though - because I am fortunate - this is not my own battle, I have made the decision to lean into this new understanding of the struggle of black women and already I am touched to my core. Thank God for leaders like Beyonce and Serena Williams who pave the trail for the uncovering of all the hurt and pain and yearning with no response that has become the mantra of black women in the U.S. and all around the world. It is now our job to continue their work until every single young black girl feels validate and significant. We must ensure the chance for black girls to become the mothers they desire and deserve to be.
We must listen to the cries of women that roll throughout every goddamn purple mountain majesty and linger above every fruited plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment