Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Do the Right Thing

Reading through the passage where Sethe kills Beloved as an infant, I was immediately hit with shock and disgust. But as I thought about it more, was Sethe purely in the wrong? Did she do the right thing?

It's an interesting question, because one must first assess the value of a human life in slavery. Clearly, Sethe does not think that Beloved will live a life worth much. And to an extent, I agree. As a slave, Sethe was subjected to truly awful and dehumanizing things (obviously), and all slaves do. Being a slave by its very definition is dehumanizing. One of the fundamental principles of human life is free will, and as a slave, one wouldn't have it. 

But, at the same time, attempting to kill all of your children and successfully killing one of them is still pretty messed up. I do think, however, that it was justified, and she was merely doing it out of love and protection for her children.

5 comments:

  1. I agree, Sethe's decision to try to kill her children is questionable and could be viewed as for their own good or as a completely nonredeemable action. However, I think that she tried to do so to spare them a life of suffering, not a "dehumanized" life because although dehumanization is a characteristic of slavery, I think that Sethe was more concerned with their happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of this also has to do with Sethe's prior experience in slavery. Given the horrors she suffered during that time, it's no surprise that she would rather her children die than become slaves. The trauma was too much for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is certainly an interesting point and I agree with Cole that there are certainly reasons on both sides for why Sethe killed Beloved, and frankly I am not sure which one I agree with more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Sethe's attempt to kill her children and actually kills one was horrible but it was the decision that guaranteed her children safety from slavery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I will know which answer I would pick unless I was actually in that persons shoes. Sethe's perspective has much greater weight then we do as a reader.

    ReplyDelete