Tuesday, November 8, 2016

What Do You Really Mean?

Claudia Rankine's says what people are not always willing to say. Rankine writes about topics that I would never fully be able to understand because I am not a Black woman. In Section III of Citizen, Rankine writes about a woman showing up to an interview;

"'When you arrive and announce yourself, he blurts out, 'I didn’t know you were black!'
'I didn’t mean to say that', he then says.
'Aloud', you say.
'What?' he asks.
'You didn’t mean to say that aloud.'"

The author is trying to point out that the racial stereotypes exist in us, even if we try to hide it. Misspeaking is often forgiven in our society. We say that it's okay and that everyone makes mistakes. We say 'Oh, I know you didn't mean that.' Even though it might be forgiven, the words will never be forgotten. The words leave a bruise on our heart that will never completely heal.

1 comment:

  1. I think that these moments of misspeaking are really tell-tale because they really demonstrate speech without thought or planning and like you said, will be more hurtful than normal moments of speech.

    ReplyDelete