Monday, November 21, 2016

As thick as love gets

"Too thick."

When Paul D condemns Sethe's motherly love as being "too thick" the reader cannot help but wonder what that really means.

At what lengths would a mother go for her child? The answer to that question is apparent in our every day life. Motherly love is often described as the deepest type of love, which is felt with every fiber of one's being.

Not being a mother myself, I cannot pretend to relate to that type of undeniable love of another. I have also never experienced the horrors of slavery, which strips one of their very person, dehumanizing to a point of no return.

So yes, when I think of a mother killing their child, slitting their throat in a split second decision, I am rather repulsed.

But who am I to make a judgement?

Maybe the definition of love can be manifested as those lengths you would take for another, to ensure that they can never be hurt. Maybe love does come in varying definitions.

I do know that Sethe thought she was doing the right thing. As she heard the men tread down the lane, she did not think, she acted.

If she could it back, would she?

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! I could never imagine being in Sethe's position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the different questions you posed to the reader of your blog and brought up the fact that love is, in fact, something that is strictly defined by the person who the love comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the different questions you posed to the reader of your blog and brought up the fact that love is, in fact, something that is strictly defined by the person who the love comes from.

    ReplyDelete