Monday, November 21, 2016

Springsteen and Sisyphus

The other day, I stumbled across a quote from an article that brought together two topics we discussed briefly in class: the myth of Sisyphus, and Bruce Springsteen.

You might recall the mentioning of Jungleland by Springsteen in an interview between Louis C.K. and Conan, which we watched in class. Without directly discussing Sisyphus, Louis C.K. talks about the "forever empty" that we all have inside of us, which leads to the conversation about Springsteen.

Springsteen recently released his autobiography Born to Run, and was featured in a Vanity Fair article, stating:
It was perfectly Sisyphean for my personality-lifting something heavy up and putting it down in he same spot for no particularly good reason. I've always felt a lot in common with Sisyphus. I'm always rolling that rock, man. One way or another, I'm always rolling that rock.
When I saw this, I found it pretty funny that this similarity was drawn, and by Springsteen himself. I guess it shows that Camus has a point; we must imagine Sisyphus happy, and if we all have a bit in common with Sisyphus, then we must imagine ourselves happy as well.









No comments:

Post a Comment