Sunday, November 29, 2015

What is Your Conclusion?

As I outline my arguments for this paper, I realize that I don't even know what my conclusion is. Depending on the character I choose, I can make a different conclusion about slavery as a whole. Denver and Paul D show that there is life after slavery, but Sethe seems consumed by guilt and regret. Sethe wastes away in Baby Sugg's room, just as Baby Sugg's did when she gave up on the humanity of the ex-slaves.
This book is dominantly crafted by stories, memories, and flashbacks. What is the point of all this storytelling? All these memories? Are they letting them go or simply burdening each other with them? It seems like it's a different answer for every character. Each character seems to use memories in a different way.

1 comment:

  1. There are really a lot of angles you could look at it all from. Mine is that the point of it all is to paint a clear picture of the cruelty of life when you get dealt a certain circumstace, and how once copes with that.

    ReplyDelete