Sunday, November 15, 2015

An untold story

As we discussed in class, Beloved brings a new light to slavery that we have never learned about in school before. Unlike Fredrick Douglass (as far as I can remember), Beloved shows the horrors slaves went through while in captivation and while gaining their freedom. I was traumatised by the scene with Paul D when he was chained to all the other slaves, unable to speak or move. Once more when he had the iron bit in his mouth for an unknown amount of time making him, once more, unable to speak or even swallow. Sethe herself had abort some unwanted babies and then send her own children ahead to gain their freedom, unsure if she would ever see them again. Despite this books blatant fictional plot revolving around a ghost, Beloved gave me a new view on slavery with a first hand perspective of how horrible it was.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! And that is why Toni Morrison's writing is so effective. I think it is awesome that she can take a fictional story and turn it into something very serious. I think as a reader, not only am I getting a good story, but I am also learning about my past. Good observation!

    ReplyDelete