Thursday, November 12, 2015

Underlying Elements in Beloved

I have really enjoyed the spooky-ness and mystery in Beloved. I think the book has so many underlying ideas, and I think that once the reader sees them, the book becomes easier to understand -- but harder at the same time. 

I truly believe that there is a deeper meaning for why Beloved is there at 124. And I believe that her timing is very crucial. Before Paul D came along and was a prominent part of life at 124, the ghost of the house was pretty friendly and caused some trouble, but not too much. I truly think that Paul D is the main reason Beloved is there. She resents him and how he makes Sethe forget her old life. And after Beloved and Paul D's confrontation, I think it is even easier to tell this.

I also love all of the underlying history references in the novel. I think it's interesting to see these elements even though Morrison does not explicitly say them.

I really enjoy the writing of Beloved and how everything ties in together; the reader just has to dig a little deeper to find certain elements in the book. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree! I like how Beloved is written as well- it's simple enough to read that you don't get discouraged, while still having cool underlying meaning. I, too, like the spookiness and overall ambiance of the book! Unlike some books where it's harder to get hooked, I genuinely want to keep reading and just figure out what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is good that you touched on the idea of Paul D being the reason that Beloved has also showed up. I think he has stirred the pot a bit at 124 and that has led to all of the drama. I also like all of the historical references and how they tie to everything at 124.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also originally thought that Paul D was the reason that Beloved has shown up. But the more I think about it I believe that it may be the combination of Sethe and Paul D may be the reason for why Beloved has shown up.

    ReplyDelete