Sunday, November 15, 2015

Be-Loved

I think Beloved is one of the most complex and unique characters in Toni Morrison's Beloved. Whether or not Beloved is a ghost or not is beside the point. Beloved seems like this innocent and sweet young girl that is only trying to find her mother's love. Beloved's name is one of the most fascinating characteristics about her. The literal definition of beloved is a person who is greatly loved. I think in the story, Beloved is completing actions to live up to her rare name. She is always seeking attention from everybody in her surroundings. She continually tries helping Sethe to get her attention. I think the attention a person gives to Beloved, in her mind, is that person's way of loving her. When she becomes unsatisfied with the amount of love Sethe gives her, she goes to Paul D and starts demanding his attention. I think her character is annoying and complex. I think she is a dangerous person because she is willing to do anything for attention. I think the reason behind her cravings for attention are due to the fact that she died at a young age. She is now looking for attention so she can be loved again. Clearly, Beloved is an interesting character due to her name and the actions she takes to live up to her name.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! You have some great points. Whether or not she is a ghost, I agree that she could be trying to live up to or for something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't take her name into much consideration but now I can see the significance.
    Great arguments.

    ReplyDelete