Monday, November 9, 2015

A Heart of Darkness

In Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, the heart of darkness was a physical place: the Congo. But I think a heart of darkness can also be an idea or a mindset, and in the United States today, the heart of darkness is not just one solid thing. We have a lot of them.

One of our hearts of darkness, I think, is mental illness and disability. Neurotypical people have a desire to help mentally ill and disabled people, but I think a lot of that desire is forced and definitely condescending. There is a stigma around it makes mentally ill people seem less than human. They are the Other.

Besides the dehumanization, people with mental disabilities are often financially exploited under the guise of helping them. People give them jobs and say that it helps them function in the real world, but often people with mental disabilities go unpaid and overworked.

I think a lot of people really do have good intentions when it comes to dealing with mental illness and disability, but those intentions often turn sour and backfire.

2 comments:

  1. I love your analysis! I think that you hinted at the mentally disabled being placed in a position that would be parallel to the savages in Heart of Darkness, that is really intriguing. I find that a lot of the time, those trying to help do not view them as equals which is essential to even begin helping them. Once people realize this I think we can find a way to incorporate them more fully into society in a position that any person deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, I think that we as a society try to act as though we are helping and acknowledging those with mental illnesses and disabilities, but in actuality we are only further exploiting and alienating them. I think it is very important that the "heart of darkness" can be a mentality that we may all carry.

    ReplyDelete