Monday, November 23, 2015

Beloved: Hungry and Sucking the Life Out of Sethe

I thought it was interesting at the end how Beloved was so hungry and did not seem to care about anything but her appetite. I think that this was symbolic of how Beloved began to eat away a Sethe eventually until Sethe was a shell of her former self. I think that this could show that part of the reason that Beloved returned to Sethe was to cause her harm. Although this might not have been the actual intentions of Beloved, Beloved ends up scarring Sethe and rendering her relatively nonfunctional. I always thought that there was more to Beloved than just coming back to reattach herself to Sethe, that there was a more sinister reason for coming back.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! I think it is also a little ironic that despite being a destructive force in Sethe's life, her name is Beloved. She started out so loving...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are simply restating what occurs at the end of the novel. I see no in depth analysis here. Other than that, nice post.

    ReplyDelete