Saturday, November 21, 2015

Intersectionality in Beloved

After reading Collins's "Black Feminist Thought", I started to look at Beloved a bit differently. I think that the article really gave me a different perspective on the book. I started to see how different of a perspective we get of escaped slave women in that time period. There is something so inter-sectional about the book -- with very few POVs from white people, the book gives you a glimpse into what life was really like for these people. 

I started to realize how differently the women are portrayed in the book from how they are portrayed in other aspects of history from that time period. They are described as actual human beings, with emotions, whereas in other parts of history, former slaves are hardly described with any detail.

I think that reading Collins's article gave me different lens on Beloved. I realized how truly inter-sectional the book really is, and how incredible it is to get this amazing (yet fictional) idea of how life was for these African American women. I have always been intrigued by intersectional feminism, and this article gave me a whole different perspective on Toni Morrison's novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment