Sunday, November 15, 2015

Power of the Past

When we first started reading Beloved, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. But after the first chapter, I will immediately drawn in by Toni Morrison's beautiful writing. As a writer myself, seeing how she weaves between the past and the present, point-of-views, and the thoughts of her characters amazes me. Her writing makes me smile because it is so effortlessly graceful, and authentic.

I like how the novel deals with the psychological and emotional effects of slavery. Sethe, Denver, Paul D, Beloved; they all seem so real. Throughout the story, there is a constant switch of POV. While at times it is a little confusing, it doesn't feel forced. I think it is also interesting that despite the fact that Sethe and Paul D. no longer work at Sweet Home, their life is still influenced by their experience as slaves. And while they try to put slavery behind them, the physical, emotional and psychological degradation is too much. The power of experiences and memories never leave us, and define us even when they were long ago.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. I think Toni Morrison's writing is completely effortless, which makes reading also completely effortless, in the best way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morrison has one of the coolest writing styles I've ever seen. Completely agree with your post; I had no idea whether I would like Beloved, but now it captivates me. The flashbacks that Sethe and Paul D experience throughout the story continually link their current lives to their past lives through Sweet Home and slavery. Such a cool story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! The style is amazing (if not always clear) and the story itself is, well, depressing, but also great in its own way.

    ReplyDelete