Sunday, November 15, 2015

Does the Supernatural Element of Beloved Detract from the Novel?

One of the problems with having a supernatural element in a work is that it can sometimes detract from the seriousness of the story. But at this point in the novel I do not feel like it detract from the novel in any way. If anything, I feel like the supernatural element enhances the story. Having Beloved reborn and haunting Sethe helps to convey the theme that no one can escape their past. And, overall, I feel like it makes the novel much more interesting. I do not think that the novel would be the same without Beloved's reborn form. It helps to build tension within the novel, and helps the reader understand that Sethe cannot escape her past.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Scott. The novel is definitely enhanced by Beloved haunting Sethe and helps convey one of the themes of the story thus far.

    ReplyDelete