Sunday, September 27, 2015

¨True¨ Meaning of Life

I strongly disagree with the concept of existentialism. Like most people, I don't enjoy being told that the way I live my life is a lie or that I'm being tricked. I believe my passions, family, friends, and religion are what give my life meaning. I know an existentialist would probably respond saying ¨you're being tricked.¨ But me personally, I know that these things make my own life meaningful.

Look at Meursault, he may be alienated from the system, but is he happy? I would argue the exact opposite, he seems miserable. He has nothing to look forward to and can doesn't have something or someone in his life that he loves-this, to me, sounds horrible.

I know that I would much rather live my life living in the system and being tricked, but happy than being alienated from the system and miserable. I would rather spend my life doing things and spending time with those I love, than be isolated from the world but have found the ¨true¨ meaning of life.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree Maya. I also believe that my passions, friends, and family are what give my life meaning. Mersault does not seem to care about anything or be happy with his life even though he says he was "content" with it. In the end of the book he comes to the conlcusion that everybody dies and it does not matter when or where because it all happens the same way. That is not the kind of mindset I want to live my life with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mersault is definitely an existentialist because he lacks those things that give his life meaning. I believe that he could only find meaning in his life through existentialism. Definitely a depressing route, but nonetheless the only route he had left.

    ReplyDelete