Monday, September 14, 2015

Review of Roman Fever


Roman Fever tells the story of two old women, who completely misunderstand and misjudge each other. The story is very long and boring, leading to a ending that is meant to shock readers. Mrs. Ansley reveals that she had an affair with Mrs. Slade’s husband. Overall, I did not enjoy the story. The story includes two women who never accomplished much at all. Instead, the women spend their time judging each other. This reinforces the idea that women are meant to compete with one another, rather than having bonds and loving one another. The women’s success in the story depended on the women’s relationships with a man. The lack of strong or successful female characters in the story bored me and reinforced ancient stereotypes. Some may enjoy Edith Wharton's thoughtful and old-fashioned story but I did not.

1 comment:

  1. I like your analysis on Wharton's story, especially your opinion that the women's success seemed to depend on the Delphin's affections. When I was reading, that aspect of the story bothered me too.

    ReplyDelete