Sunday, September 20, 2015

L'Etranger

We have started reading "The Stranger" by Albert Camus in class. I read it last year in French class and am curious about the difference between reading books in their original and translated languages.

The English copy of the book I received has a note from the translator about Camus' style and how he picked the translation of certain words to maintain the style. There I discovered reading a translated book in a way is shaped in the opinion of the translator. Not that it is a bad thing but choosing certain words that denote some meanings as it relates to the feel of the book could once be interpreted in different ways by the original author is given a concrete meaning in the translation.

Personally reading the book in English after reading it in French first I find myself picking out and translating in my mind which makes it really frustrating to read because translating is so mentally exhaustive and I can't seem to turn it off. I really love French so I think poetic value is really added to the original.

 I am looking forward to read both versions of the book and I hope after reading the English version I'll have a more developed opinion on how translated books add or subtract from the overall value. One thing that hasn't changed between the two is how frustratingly apethetic Meursault seems at times.

6 comments:

  1. This was a cool analysis to read, because ever since the original French version was brought up in class, I've been curious about it. I agree how mentally exhausting it is to translate while reading, and think it's nice how the translator wrote a note about the specific words/translations he chose to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you brought this up, Simone. I heard that there are different translations for the book and I am kind of curious to see what those are like. I think that the themes of the story are the biggest part. If the translations can still get those points to the reader, in an effective way without completely botching the story, I think that is sufficient. I think they take away from the original value of the book. However, they open a new world for someone who can't read the book in the original language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people often overlook the role of the translator. Translating literature is a lot more than just picking out what the words literally mean - you also have to decide which English words make the sentence have the same connotations. I remember when I read the Odyssey in Fitzgerald's translation and then read it again in Fagles'. It was notably different in style and flow each time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first day we were handed this book I immediately wondered what the differences were between it and the original French version. I envy your ability to read the book in the natural language in which it was written; it must give you a substantially more valuable perspective! If you ever feel like posting about the differences of style/writing/language between the original and the translated copy, that would be pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read it in French class too, so I was thinking about the same things. It's definitely different reading it in a language I understand better, instead of one where I felt more disconnected from the text because it was harder to read. I definitely don't have your translating problem, though-- mostly I'm glad I don't have to figure out what each and every word means.

    I thought the bit about how Meursault calls his mother "Maman" was interesting, because I read an entire book in French without even thinking about how it translates to English and whatever the implications of that are.

    ReplyDelete