Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Roman Fever Reactions

I thought that Roman Fever was an incredible story. While I was reading it, I was wondering what the main part of the story was going to be. It didn't really have any conflict until the way end besides Mrs. Slade being kind of snippy and thinking mean things. When Mrs. Slade finally confronted Mrs. Ansley, I didn't really think there was anything special about it until the last line. When Mrs. Slade tells Mrs. Ansley that she doesn't begrudge her for that one night with her husband because she had him for 25 years and Mrs. Ansley only had one night, Mrs. Ansley pauses and then says, "I had Barbara." I laughed out loud when I read this. It was such a perfect ending: not only did it reveal that Barbara is Mrs. Ansley's and Delphin's child, but it left us hanging. We are left only to imagine how Mrs. Slade reacted and what happened next between the two women.

I was glad when I read this because Mrs. Slade was being really annoying throughout the whole story. She was so bitter about something that she had caused even when she thought she had triumphed and had left Mrs. Slade waiting in the colosseum the whole night, but in reality Delphin had met with Mrs. Ansley and then they had a kid together. Also she sent her friend there knowing that Roman Fever was killing a lot of people and that she might catch it and die--what a horrible person. I didn't like Mrs. Slade and am glad that the story ended the way it did.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah I really loved the ending! I thought it was hilarious. I liked how it almost had a double meaning: Slade said that she "had" Delphin for 25 years as in she had possession of him, so when Ansley said "I had Barbara" it could either mean that a) she had Barbara with her for all those years, or that b) she gave birth to Barbara. It's so clever because it actually seems to mean both at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Jilly. I thought it was a really good and funny story. Especially the ending! I think Mrs.Slade is probably just going to sit there for like a good ten minutes with her jaw dropped. It would also make it so awkward when they see each other since their daughters are friends. I also enjoyed Wharton's build up of each of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ending of Roman Fever was hilarious. I think the story overall was great too. I am so glad I was not the only one who thought Mrs. Slade was annoying. I am sure Mrs. Slade jaw dropped for a long time, but so did mine. I would of never expected Mrs. Ansley to insult Mrs. Slade like that. Overall, great review of the story.

    ReplyDelete