Saturday, September 19, 2015

Fiesta 1980 - Sibling Relationships

In Fiesta 1980, the relationship between Yunior and Rafa is unique and extremely interesting. At first I thought they were going to be the typical brother-brother relationship, where they punch and make fun of each other, and in the end, they truly have each other's back. However, in this story, I do not think Yunior and Rafa have that relationship. Although Yunior and Rafa do joke around with each other as they call each other names and playfully hit each other, once their dad looks at them, everything changes. Rafa backs away from Yunior as if he barely knows him. I understand that Rafa leaves his brother alone because he is scared of his father, but I would think that their abusive father would make them closer. It is just interesting to me because I can't even imagine not having a good relationship with my siblings. Yunior's environment and father, I believe, make it hard for him to have a good sibling relationship.  

3 comments:

  1. I thought your post was a really interesting take on the sibling relationship. However, I think that most siblings occasionally throw each other under the bus or avoid each other when one is in trouble. With an abusive father, I can see these normal behaviors being magnified and hurting their relationship. I agree that it is strange to imagine having such a distant relationship with my siblings, so I understand your argument as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Peyton. I think that, at least in this story, the father and his actions drives the two siblings away from each other. You do see them messing around with each other in some instances but they don't interact in a positive manner very often. They are connected through instances with their father that aren't all that positive either. I don't have any siblings so I really don't have the experience to analyze the situation but, It does seem like their father is part of the divide between them.

    ReplyDelete