Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Adichie's Dark Side

I thought that "Cell One" was an incredible story. The plot was very interesting and intriguing, and I kept wanting to read. Adichie's use of words is always so great; she knows how to put words together in a way different from anything else I have ever read. As much as I loved "Cell One", I thought it was such a dark, dark story. The story was so morose and sad, I was almost surprised that it was written by Adichie.

I read Adichie's book Americanah for summer reading this past summer. Though that book had some sad parts, it was nothing close to how dark and sad "Cell One" was. Americanah was sad in different ways: the main character not being able to get a job in America or her relationships with guys. It was nothing about abuse or the Nigerian prison system. Of course, these are too different stories, but a lot of the time author's books are similar in a lot of ways, whereas with these two, there were similarities, but at the same time, they were so, so different from each other. Everything else I've read or heard from Adichie normally has an uplifting part to it, whereas there was not a lot of that in "Cell One". I just found it strange, but also interesting that the two stories by the same author could be so different from each other.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read Americanah, so I can't say much on the comparison between the two stories, but I thought that, while Cell One is pretty obviously depressing in a lot of ways, it ended on a semi-positive-kinda note: Nnamabia got out of jail, and while it was pretty horrible he also ended up maturing a lot. I guess that isn't exactly uplifting and bundles of happiness, but it seemed like it ended a lot better than it could have.

    (I actually thought it was going to end a lot worse, given the part where all the police officers act strangely and it's implied that they don't know what's happened to Nnamabia-- he could have been dead. ...and now that I say that, I can see how a story where the problems are not having a job and guys seems a lot less dark.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also surprised after I read Cell One. I couldn't believe that it was written by the same author as Americanah! I think I liked Americanah better than Cell One, but maybe just because it was more uplifting. Maybe because Americanah took place partially in America but there were less race issues in Cell one. Did you like Americanah or Cell one better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also read Americannah and this story surprised me as well with it's dark tone. I think I enjoyed reading Cell One more though. I got really into the story. I actually wish that Cell One was longer because I really wanted to know what happened to Nnamabia in terms of his behavior. It's easy to infer that he became a better and more mature person, but I wonder if that's what actually happens.

    ReplyDelete