Thursday, December 15, 2016

"These Streets"

Bastille's song from the album Bad Blood, "These Streets," is about someone who used to belong to a place but now has bad memories and does not wish to return. The song describes running away from bad memories and leaving it all behind. It is most likely a bad relationship because the speaker uses a we when talking about the past indicating someone else was with them.

The line, "We'll walk upon these streets and think of little else/I won't show my face here anymore," refers Bastille uses synecdoche to represent where the speaker used to live. The streets are just the part that represents the overall town where they grew up or lived. Bastille's line, "I won't show my face here anymore," further contributes to the meaning because the speaker does not want to go back to where they came from. 

The personification of streets also gives meaning to the song. Bastille sings, "I don't want them/They pull me back," explains how the speaker tries to forget and get away from their past where the bad memories are. The past tries to stay with them and talks about the streets pulling them back. The streets literally can't pull the speaker back but they serve to demonstrate how their past is lingering.

Finally, metaphor, "We have stained these walls," contributes to the meaning because their memories are like a stain on the wall. The memories won't leave, just like a stain. It is also a comparison to stains being a bad spot just like their past.


3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this song and you provide an excellent interpretation of the song in general. I also could not agree more with the interpretation, as I think it really addresses the tone of the song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your analysis of the final metaphor. Memories do stay with you and I think you and Bastille express that well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that "These Streets" is a very poetic song. The metaphors work perfectly and you did a great job of interpreting them.

    ReplyDelete