Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Imagining No Divisions

I choose my song because it makes me think critically about the world around me. Too often, songs are characterized by their catchy beats and non-memorable lyrics, songs blared on B96 and other Top 100 radio stations.

I choose "Imagine" by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. The original album is called Imagine as well. He begins the song by asking the listener to:


Imagine there's no heaven.It's easy if you try.

Hearing that line made me think about human's perceptions of life. Sometimes the world is viewed in a negative light, and this song tends to take a more positive view - showing that if we all stand together, we can hope for a brighter future. Lennon goes on to talk about a world without the negativity and distractions of every day life, saying:


Imagine there's no countriesIt isn't hard to doNothing to kill or die forAnd no religion tooImagine all the people living life in peace...


The diction in these lines create strong overall imagery, forcing the listener to comprehend what Lennon is saying. Lennon uses this imagery to help the listener understand the divisions that sometimes threaten to destroy us are usually foolhardy. However, if individuals choose to work together instead of create these divides, they are capable of so much more.

Lennon's song tends try to get the listener to imagine the world erased of meaning. If there is no heaven, and no living for the future, it takes away a dimension of life. Instead Lennon urges the listener to "liv[e] for today." His short, clear sentences unlock no secret meanings, as Lennon specifies exactly what he is trying to say.

The theme of living for today reminds me of Meursault, and his unwillingness to think about the future, or about others. In more a twisted way, Meursault lives for today - living moment to moment.


Lastly, Lennon ends with a plan for the future. He urges the listener to:


I hope someday you'll join us.And the world will live as one.

The closing line evokes an image of a whole, fixed world. It is what everyone strives for - no hunger, sadness, or discrimination. Although the tone of this poem is rather sad, the last line looks to more hopeful beginnings.


Imagine



4 comments:

  1. I love this song!!!! I completely agree with you on your statement that many songs today are characterized by catchy beats and simple lyrics. This song I think makes us think more about the present than the future. Allowing us to enjoy what is happening now instead of what will be happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song!!!! I completely agree with you on your statement that many songs today are characterized by catchy beats and simple lyrics. This song I think makes us think more about the present than the future. Allowing us to enjoy what is happening now instead of what will be happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting how you mention Meursault because as I was reading your blog entry, I also thought of how this was the exact opposite of the message from The Stranger. I think that even though the tone of the song is sad, the message is very hopeful, and actually, happy in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this song is perfect to bring up in lieu of the political atmosphere right now. It is good to have hope!

    ReplyDelete