Thursday, December 15, 2016

"Beauty in the World"

You can't help but smile when Macy Gray's "Beauty in the World" plays. Inspired by the laughter of her daughter, Gray has composed an ode to happiness.
I know you're fed up
But life don't let up for us
All they talk about is
What is going down?
Whats been messed up for us?
When I look around I see blue skies
I see butterflies for us
In these first few lyrics Gray connects to her audience by empathizing with the struggle of life, but she closes out the stanza with reminders of "beauty in the world". When she says, "I see butterflies for us," Gray is explaining how she sees the happiness in life even when we can't see it.

She then goes on to sing, "Listen to the sound and lose it / Its sweet music and dance with me". This is referring to the music of the world. When you see the beauty in the world it creates a symphony that you can dance to. Gray is inviting the listener to join in her celebration of the world.

We need more lovin'
We need more money, they say
Change is gonna come
Like the weather
They say forever
They say
When they're in between
Notice the blue skies
Notice the butterflies
Notice me
In this stanza Gray points out he optimists and pessimists of the world. Some people will complain, but you need to look up at the sky and wait for the weather to change. Tough times come and go and eventually you will find the positives in every thing if you look hard enough. Then of course, like every feel-good song, she brings up love. "Notice me," because the speaker wants to show the other that she is beautiful.

The chorus continues on to be a feel-good, hip-swinging interlude. She ends the song with hope and love and your heart immediately swells. I'm a sucker for a cute song and I do believe that this is one of those, but I also believe that this song has value. Especially in this time of national strife and world conflict, people need to look up at the sky more often and take in the sights. There really is beauty everywhere and you have to seek it out and fight for it. Macy Gray could not have been more right.

No comments:

Post a Comment