Friday, December 16, 2016

Growth

The song 7 years was created by pop band Lukas Graham from their album. , Lukas Graham. The song that I chose for this was a remix of the original. I like the beat of it and it actually keeps me calm while pumping me up.

I think the central idea of the song is about growing up and about his life so far. He sings,
Soon we´ll be thirty years old,
our songs have been sold
we´ve traveled around the world and we´re still roaming. 
It´s talking about their music career so far and how they are still doing many songs around the world. The speaker is reflecting on his pat while reflecting on their past experiences.

Soon I´ll be sixty years old,
 my daddy got sixty one Remember life,
and then your life becomes a better one
I made a man so happy when I wrote a letter once
 I hope my children come and visit once or twice a month

This is my favorite part of the poem because there are many dimensions to the lines. The reason he brings up himself being sixty and his daddy being sixty-one is at least I think, he is saying his father had died at that age. That is why he says remember life because he has to remember his father while learning from his experiences, which comes from your life become a better one. The letter he wrote could have been to his father either alive or deceased. It could also be his young self writhing to his old self. That is at least what I took from it. When he says I hope my children visit me is him in his old days, but also maybe he didn´t do that with his dad so he want´s his children to come visit him.

This song really makes me think of my father. I didn´t get to know him long when he passed, but this song somewhat helps me connect and remember who he is. I think a sign of poetry could be if you can relate to it and music tends to relate with all of us in different ways.





2 comments:

  1. The feeling this song invokes through its sad diction puts in perspective what some take for granted, which is family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice song choice based on your analysis. I agree with you, and I want to take it one step further by saying that maybe he is also talking about how as generations go by you learn from the past and apply it to the future. Hopefully his kids treat him better then he treated his dad.

    ReplyDelete