Sunday, December 18, 2016

A White Background

While reading through Citizen, I was struck most heavily by the quote: “I feel most colored when I am thrown against a sharp white background”

When I went to boarding school last year, there were 63 kids in the whole school. Of those 63, there was only one black student, Donald. I didn’t think much about it during my time there, he and I had different friends and classes. But reading through Citizen, I couldn’t help but think about Donald and how different his experience must have been from mine. How many times did he feel singled out, having been thrown against an incredibly white background? That’s what white privilege is though, getting to ignore race because it never inconveniences you.

I thought I fully understood how my race affects my life, but reading through Citizen reminded me that my privilege is a lot more complex than I understood. And that’s a good thing, if I understand how my actions (or lack thereof) are negatively impacting others, I can change. Citizen informed me, it put me in the shoes of my peer without attacking me.

3 comments:

  1. At OPRF we take for granted the diversity of the student body, most kids, especially in the Chicago land area have the experiences that we do with different races other then our own. We get a first hand look at how privilege works and what we can do to be aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is also positive side to your story. He did not stand out because of his race. If you didn't realised how "odd" it was at first it means that the difference in race does not make him different(in a bad way; of course everyone is unique).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your argument here it takes a better understanding to realize what people experience throughout such a you and developing age.

    ReplyDelete