Monday, December 12, 2016

"Take Me to Church" to Cleanse Me of My Humanity

The song I have chosen to defend as poetry is ¨Take me to Church¨ by musical artist Hozier on his album: Hozier.

The lyrics of this song challenges religious institutions treatment of homosexual individuals.

Hozier sings, "'We were born sick,' you heard them say it.¨ This line is a perfect example of the treatment homosexuals were (and in some places still are) forced to endure. They are looked at as mentally ill and those who accuse them of it never hesitate to say it.

The lyrics below are the chorus lines that are repeated 3 times (sung twice in a row) for a total of 6 times throughout the entire song. It is then possible to say that Hozier purposely placed the lyrics to create 666 the well known sign of the devil. By doing this he is symbolizing the sinful nature homosexuals were shamed for, burying them with this satanic reputation that many members of the church believed to be true.
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins so you can sharpen your knife
Offer me my deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life.
Then, Hozier places a section highlighting some encountered limitations: 
My church offers no absolutes
She tells me, 'Worship in the bedroom.'
The only heaven I'll be sent to
Is when I'm alone with you.
These lines display how the only heaven the speaker will be sent to will be when he is with his loved one. Not only, because the religion would not allow him into Heaven but Heaven is a place filled with happiness. And in his case, the only true happy place in the world would be with his loved one who accepts, supports and loves him.

Overall, Hozier is stating that falling in love can be the death of everything. Of life, relationships, possibly even religions. He is explaining that sexual orientation is a natural aspect of humanity. It is a large part of one´s identity and these institutions are teaching people to shame others for exploring/accepting their sexual orientation that may not be the ¨societal norm.¨

This song is not an attack on faith. He is not insulting religion but merely stating the truth. It´s a sad part of our history but a truthful one.

¨Take me to Church¨ is about asserting yourself and reclaiming your humanity through an act of love. Turning your back on the theoretical thing, something that’s not tangible, and choosing to worship or love something that is tangible and real.










2 comments:

  1. I love this song, and I think it is really awesome that Hozier tried to shed light on an issue so important in our society today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your analysis of this song. I agree with how you're saying that loving someone could be the potential downfall of you, your relationships, etc. Although the song sounds very down, I like the powerful message it is carrying across. This song possibly sounds like church/gospel song, so I also think that it is saying how someone can be a part of a religion, but also be who they are at the same time.

    ReplyDelete