Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Free the Eyebrows (or Eyebrow?)

As wavy blonde hair comfortably sits atop my head, my European origins appear obvious. Though the one characteristic that contrasts my German ethnicity are my thick, black, Egyptian eyebrows. It is a part of me that I have been forced to maintain constantly. Though many frown upon men getting their eyebrows waxed or threaded, it is a religious experience for me. It means that for the next week, I would be able to have two eyebrows as opposed to one, and get one step close to the stereotypical male standard.

In 2007, my extended family and I took a vacation to Egypt over winter break. As I left for the airport, I awaited a fun-filled trip to The Pyramids, Sphynx, and sitting on camels. Although, as many of you may imagine, this was nowhere near the reality of my experience. In fact, I experienced much more beauty that lied in the complexity of my trip. Upon arrival, we were greeted by our own personal security guard strapped with an AK-47 on his back. As we continued about our trip in Cairo, the excitement and eagerness that I had at the beginning of our trip began to vanish as my safety no longer felt secure, though my interest stayed at a peak.

My family and I visited several churches where (according to the Christian religion) history had taken place; one in specific where Jesus stayed in after fleeing Israel. Iconic mosques surrounded us, and my mind was no longer focused on the Pyramids anymore. As we walked through street markets, I experienced something I had never really expected.  My grandfather (Geddo) was talking to venders in Arabic laughing and smiling. I felt welcomed with opened arms. It is frustrating that this elegant beauty is hidden under the burqa of the Pyramids.

Though it attracts tourism for Egypt, it hides so much more beauty, and merely oversimplifies Egypt to sand dunes and camels. It seems humorous that the pictures one may see on postcards is simply of the Pyramids, but what lies only half a mile away is a thriving city. It is unfortunate that the media has over-simplified Egypt to such a basic generalization, but time is the only thing that stands between now, and the elegant truth. It is because of my ethnicity's pride, unity, and humility that I plan to illuminate the Egyptian beauty by raising one of my thick black eyebrows. 

3 comments:

  1. This blog post was beautifully written, and it was so interesting to get your perspective on Orientalism both through your Egyptian roots and your actual visit to Egypt. I think it is unfortunate that we allow the media to infringe upon our views of the Middle East, and I really enjoyed how you mentioned that in your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you were able to connect your own experience and family into this post, it makes it more personal which I think is important for this subject. It is true that when I think of Egypt it is first the acient pyramids and historical markers that I think of, not the people and modern cultures. I really liked this whole post which gave me a new perspective of modern Egypt, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, thank you for sharing this story. I think it's easy to let our preconceptions block our minds from accurately perceiving other countries. However, it seems like you overcame any preconceptions you had, and that's awesome! I want to go to Egypt really badly... let's talk about this more in wheel throwing.

    ReplyDelete