Monday, March 5, 2018

Blades of Glory: A Deeper Meaning

"Blades of Glory" reminds me of my childhood. It is one of my dads favorite comedies, and although I understood pretty much none of the jokes the first hundred times I watched it, I will always love this movie.

"Blades of Glory" is a good movie to watch when you're looking for a light movie, and one that will make you laugh a lot. However, Blades of Glory contains some commentary, especially regarding homophobia and masculinity. I read one review on the movie before writing this, and the author commented on how the movie had too many homophobic jokes for his liking. 

From my perspective, these jokes were purposeful. The movie makes many jokes about how figure skating isn't a masculine sport and about a "bromance". Two male athletes competing as a couple in figure skating made the men subject to jokes and a bit of humiliation. However, in the end the duo wins the gold medal. 

Because the athletes are able to step outside of a man box, and not worry about how people perceived them as a couple on the ice, they were able to overcome many adversitites that happened throughout the movie, as a strong duo. Masculinity was not the goal for Chazz Michael Michaels and Jimmy MacElroy. What's really so wrong with two males figure skating for the gold? 

No comments:

Post a Comment