Friday, March 23, 2018

Aladdin

Throughout my entire childhood, Aladdin was a favorite of mine. My middle school performed the musical, and I thought it was amazing. I liked the music, and it even got my thinking about complicated topics, like morality, when Aladdin stole bread because he was poor and starving. However, I never stopped to think about the orientalism that appeared in the film.

As an American, I was not even phased by the clearly prejudie interpretation of middle eastern culture that appeared in the movie. The saddest part is, I am not alone. Alladin is one of, if not the, most popular Disney movie.

As Americans, we are not even phased by the lyrics in the song "Arabian Nights",
Oh, I come from a land, from a faraway place
Where the caravan camels roam
Where it's flat and immense
And the heat is intense
It's barbaric, but hey, it's home
These lyrics blantantly express that the character's home is a mysterious, "faraway", place that is "barbaric". I was not phased by these lyrics, because in my society and culture, Middle Eastern and Asian culture are perceived as such. Aladdin is not the only movie or piece of art that depicts Asia and the Middle East in such a way. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree, the film communicates this inaccurate representation of the Middle East. Children grow up thinking all of this part of the world has people riding on camels and cities without roads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up watching this movie as well. Not only did it portray a "barbaric" representation of countries that are not dominantly white, but when I was growing up, I didn't even know it took place in the Middle East. I thought it was in India. That's how little I was educated about the Middle East.

    ReplyDelete