Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Romantic Relations

Many people see the philosophy of Romanticism as a narcissistic school of thought, as it places an emphasis on the importance of the individual learning from their own self-awareness and experiences. Yet, what these critics fail to see is the idea that encompasses Romanticism: self-reflection in order to progress and help society. As individuals, we are compelled to help others around us. Likewise, in order to do such, we must be capable of self-reflecting on ourselves and learning from who we are and how to better ourselves.

This aspect of Romanticism mentioned above reiterates strongly with my beliefs and moral values. I find it important to always be in-tune with who I am as a person, and how I can better myself in order to better others. I believe that to bring good into this world, and aid in progressing society,  I must be able to realize my own capabilities and reflect upon myself. Once I am able to become the best person I can be, while also continuously self-reflecting upon my inner self, I then am able to contribute positive aspects to society.

Another characteristic of Romanticism that relates strongly to the way I look at life is an appreciation for nature. As someone who has grown up partaking in outdoor activities such as hiking and kayaking, I have learned the fervor and emotional spark that nature provides. It is no longer about taking pretty pictures of the sunset, but it is about reflecting upon experiences that nature offers us. Often times, we forget that the large cities that we live in are fueled by the resources that the Earth provides us. Romanticism, however, reminds us of the importance nature holds over the progression of society.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you talked about your personal connection to Romanticism and also society's representations of Romanticism. I agree that Romanticism can be used to better society, if used correctly. Since I don't fully believe that Romanticism can be applicable to society, it was interesting to see a positive connection with society.

    ReplyDelete