Friday, March 24, 2017

A Whole New World

Orientalism is a western idea the east Asian countries are mysterious, dangerous, and obscure. Culture in America fosters this idea by portraying the Middle East and Asia as exotic, and uncivilized. Americans are not always conscious of this portrayal. Instead most people think that is just business as usual, which is how the idea of orientalism continues.

Throughout my childhood I unknowingly fell into the trap of orientalism. I used to watch Aladdin and not once did I think that its portrayal of the Middle East could be offensive. I thought the movie was just normal, and that everyone wore turbans. Without any prior experience a child can't know any better than what they see.

Hopefully America starts to address this issue more. Then pop culture could stop portraying the East as exotic and mysterious.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, there should not be films for kids that give a false interpretation of the Middle East and its culture. I feel like I was also douped as a kid. It is a real issue that still exists today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, didn't pick up on these stereotypes as a kid. Now that it has been brought to light, however, I can clearly see the issues with the portrayal of the Middle East.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree too, since we grow up in the age where false accusation are seen through media and movies such as Aladdin. But it must be hard to stop this mindset from occurring since its been going on for such a long time.

    ReplyDelete