Thursday, October 1, 2015

Meursault is actually okay


While going through all the most recent blog posts I keep stumbling upon a common theme: everybody mentions how emotionless Meursault is. I however have a different view on this, I believe he is full of emotion and feelings, but he keeps them hidden on the inside. If you go back to the scenes on the beach with Marie you will notice how flirty and romantic the two were being with each other, it was simply Camus' 'straight to the point' writing style that makes Meursault seem emotionless and depressed. Now, I don't know if it's just me seeing the glass half full because I always see the good in people but for some reason I cannot accept the fact that Meursault might in fact be a sociopath and have no feelings towards life or death.

6 comments:

  1. I think your different perspective on Mersault is interesting as well as necessary! I also appreciate your glass half full mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, there are definitely moments where we catch Meursault experiencing genuine impulses of love, happiness, anger, etc. Though they're brief these flashes of emotion do a great deal to humanize him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Meursault is definitely not emotionless. However, I feel like his emotions are simple, and almost carnal, like the lust he shows when he is with Marie. I think he lacks the more complex emotions, like love, which is evident when he doesn't grieve over his mother's death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. Meursault is definitely not emotionless. However, I feel like his emotions are simple, and almost carnal, like the lust he shows when he is with Marie. I think he lacks the more complex emotions, like love, which is evident when he doesn't grieve over his mother's death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you 100%. I think that by not showing emotions, Meursault expresses said emotions, in kind of a weird way. I think part of the whole point of the book is for the reader to think that Meursault is emotionless, and it's up to you to decide whether this is true or not. I think he has much more emotion than he leads on, but doesn't know how to deal with it. By not grieving his mother's death, Meursault seems to be hiding his actual feelings of loss and despair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an extremely accurate description of Meursault. While reading I saw him as a man with as many emotions as anyone else, but he expresses them in a different way. while most people share how they feel, Meursault chooses to internalize it and let it go. He is so rational that he doesnt let the normal emotions one feels affect the way he lives his life.

    ReplyDelete