Thursday, October 1, 2015

Nothing Had Changed

It occurred to me that anyway one more Sunday was over, that Maman was buried now, that I was going back to work, and that, really, nothing had changed.” (24) When Meursault says this I can only believe that he truly has no feelings at all. It has occurred to him that yes, his mother just died, but it didn’t change his life. He hadn’t been with her in quite some time because he brought her to the home and she didn’t have much affect on her life. Additionally it proves how little Meursault feels when it comes to pretty much everything.

This additionally assists in the development of the the theme. I feel that the theme is the only certainty to life is death so all life is equally meaningless. Meursault doesn't seem to feel anything at all and this is a strong reflection of his true emotions inside.

He is enveloped in a sort of routine of doing his work and spending a little bit of leisure time, yet when he's in prison he still doesn't seem to feel anything. This is exemplified when he says, "It was then I felt a stirring go through the room and for the first time I realized that I was guilty" (90). He feels absolutely nothing when he kills the Arab and really doesn't see himself as doing something wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment