Thursday, September 25, 2014

Meaning of Life Found in a Rap Song?

After all this lovely talk of existentialism and the meaning of life in class, I have been pondering whether or not I agree with Mr. Heidkamp or not. After today's class I popped in my headphones and a song titled "Kush & Corinthians (His Pain)" came on, a rap song written by Kendrick Lamar. The title in itself is seemingly explicit and ignorant yet when I listened to the lyrics I was able to connect it to class. In the opening hook he sings,

Ride to it, ride to it, cause you never know
When a bullet might hit and you die to it, die to it
Die to it, die to it, live your life, live it right
Be different, do different things
Don't do it like he did, cause he ain't what you is
But we can win, wait, let's get straight to the point

To the meaning of life, what's my purpose?
Maybe this Earth is ain't a good place to be...

Is he an existentialist? Born in Compton, Kendrick is familiar with random pain and suffering as he shows in this lyric. Yet, still aware of this random suffering in this world, he keeps his head up and says that we need to live our lives and be different from others. He also questions the meaning of life, which possibly is unknowingly answered in the lyric prior, and concludes that this world is possibly a bad place due to all the pain and suffering he has witnessed. I find this incredible that in a song written by as some would say an "ignorant" rapper, we find a deep analyst of life. Even if you don't believe in existentialism it is still fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment