Thursday, September 25, 2014

Is existentialism worth its burden?

If adherence to existentialism denotes a liberation from the imprisonment by social constructs, it also gives singular, complete power to action. If not defined by identification with morality, justice, religion, faction, nation, institution, I am indeed free to individualize. 

My very self-hood becomes what I make of it. My choices carry weight like never before. I define myself through my actions. The undoing of the social constructs forces me to let my true inner self shine forth. Knowing each choice defines his very self-hood, near-crushing anxiety encompasses his each decision. Existentialism's hidden burden must be paralyzing.

Existentialism's first goal, as reported by the Handbook of Individual Therapy, by ed Dryden is
"to enable people to become more truthful with themselves."

But is being true to yourself worth the charge?

1 comment:

  1. Think about Meursault though, he lives his life with existentialist views yet it doesn't seem that he is too stressed out about his decision-making. He is kind of like "whatever" all of the time, so in my view i think that is it worth the charge.

    ReplyDelete