Tuesday, February 20, 2018

WALL-E

What is satire? Well to me, satire is an exaggeration or oversimplification intended to ridicule, highlight or expose the flaws of an idea. The purpose would then be to inform or change the behavior and perceptions of others and our environment.

Wall-e is a movie where it is showing the inhabitants of Earth have fled onto spaceships, leaving robots behind to clean up the garage that has consumed the Earth. Wall-e, the main character, is eventually the last robot remaining to clean up the Earth. After some time, Wall-e arrives at one of the spaceships that the inhabitant are on. While on the spaceships, Wall-e realizes that humans have evolved and become morbidly obese. An example of that is that the humans float around all day on chairs with screens on them watching television all day. 

Humans and their inability to be self-reliant with showing humans laziness. Humans are really reliant on new technologies but when that all disappears what would everyone do? In the movie, the characters are sitting lazily in chairs throughout their life. With the environment where does all this waste end up? Most of over waste and garbage doesn't get reused. After a time, this garage accumulates to an unthinkable quantity. Large companies who sell quantities of packages goods are kind of responsible for the mess? Machines are taking over kind of in a way because if you think about it technology is advancing at such a high rate that human has become unnecessary. 

Some devices that were used throughout the movie to bring a greater idea to it. Exaggeration because it is showing the world would never end up covered in garage. Diminution is another one because it is taking real-life situations and showcasing all the flaws. The last one that I found was a reversal and how the idea of obesity is considered positive with all the humans in the movie.

4 comments:

  1. I remember watching this movie as a kid and not liking it very much. I would think not much is happening in this movie and got bored. However thinking about it now, I see the satirical elements in the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this scene is just kinda interesting for a kids movie because I literally remember watching this as a child and actually feeling so uncomfortable and I think for a children's movie, putting this in a child's head and like making them look down on certain people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I loved this movie. And not only did it open my eyes to human laziness in our world, but also it made me want to treat Mother Earth better. I think it is a great way to get these messages across to kids. I think your analysis was spot on and it showed me the satirical aspect to his movie, which I had never thought about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I hadn't even considered WALL-E when thinking about satirical examples. Great analysis, exploring the ideas of environmental degredation, American obesity and laziness. I agree with Michael as well, that it is particularly poignant because its target audience is children.

    ReplyDelete