Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Reality of the World

I agree with some aspects of Singer's argument. Of course individuals like to spend their money on things that they do not need. In fact, I was watching this reality show and a woman said she spends $5,000 a month on shoes. That's ridiculous. I liked how Singer made me reflect on something I do all the time. As I look through my closet, I always think I have nothing to wear. Yet, I have a closet full of clothes. Also, I agree that any individual could/should make a donation anytime they can  regardless of their income. Even if  the amount is small, it can help. However, I did not like how Singer was implying that you should always feel guilty when you want to treat yourself. For example, when he gives the hypothetical situation regarding going out for dinner. He states, "The money you will spend at the restaurant could also help save lives of children overseas! True, you weren't planning to blow $200 tonight, but if you were to give up dining just for one month, you could easily save that amount." (4) I think it is important for individuals to splurge once and a while: while being aware of others that do not have it as well. I don't think it is realistic to assume that individuals extra money will go charities/organizations. Or, when someone wants to buy something nice for themselves, he or she will automatically think they should donate that money. Singer makes it seem that it is so easy. However, most humans do not think about it or just feel they have bigger problems.

In the end, I did enjoy reading Singer's article because it made me truly analyze the hypothetical situations. Also, as cheesy as it may be, to not always complain/exaggerate about the tiniest things. Next time, I will try not to complain about homework because there are people that don't get the luxury of education. It definitely puts things in perspective. 

DQ: What are your thoughts on Singer's argument? 

No comments:

Post a Comment