Thursday, November 9, 2017

Thoughts about Beloved

When I first started reading Beloved I didn't really like it because I was very confused on most parts of the story and I would just have to keep reading it all over again until I understood it. I eventually started really understanding the novel and now I absolutely love the book. The way Toni Morrison writes is so interesting to me because she switches point of view so often that it makes the reader stay engage and actually want to keep reading. However, in my opinion she is switching it a little too much that it gets a little annoying; at least to me. This kind of writing is new for me because I've never experienced anything like it before but its exciting to see how I will be able to understand what she is trying to put across even though she keeps switching things around.

Thoughout the story, i'm starting to notice that Paul D is beginning to share his memories and stories with Sethe and how she is doing the same and they are learning from the memories and stories about things in life and how to turn away from them and how not to turn away from them.

To me, Sethe is a very complex character in a way where she makes herself stand out. She sticks up for herself which is casing her to be a dynamic character. She also is about to recognize the effects of her memories that are happening in her daily life. She is always the only one who is trying to keep the family together. She watches out for Beloved and Denver and they do the same for her as well.

1 comment:

  1. When I first started reading I didn't understand it that well either. But I think the novel teaches a great lesson, not just about the impact of slavery, but the impact of self-reflection. Sethe is a self-reflecting character which has a huge effect on her life and her family.

    ReplyDelete