Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Beloved: A Non-Fiction Novel?

I do not believe ghosts exist. I don't think there are such things as zombies, spirits, witches, or vampires. At one time or another, I have wanted these and many other creatures to be real, but have come to the disappointing conclusion they are not. Whatever your take on supernatural beings, there is no denying "Beloved" is meant to be fiction, or as it is categorized by its publishers, "Magical Realism." So why does a book that clearly is meant to be fiction, feel so real?

The historical background, the omniscient third person point of view, the emotional vulnerability of the characters s- these are just a few of the techniques Morrison uses to transport me to the world of Beloved. I have read many a book, however, that engages these approaches and still allows me to feel the fiction-ness of it all. I think the real transportive magic Morrison uses is her attention to details

"It is noon, quite light outside; inside it is not. A few cuts of sun break through the roof and walls but once there they are too weak to shift for themselves. Darkness if stronger and swallows them like minnows." (143) Within this single description, Morrison has used personification, metaphor, and simile, not to mention painted a picture of both the inside and outside perspective of the setting. It is phrases and paragraphs such as these that let me forget the outside world and become completely integrated with the world of Beloved.

I don't believe in ghosts, but I believe in Beloved. There is a magic that comes from Morrison's writing that allows me to leave my personal opinions at the cover page and become thoroughly intertwined with the world of Beloved.  

5 comments:

  1. It's based on the story of Margaret Garner. Morrison also is just a very good writer as you said, so she brings the historical aspects to life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morrison also seamlessly intertwines real, historical context into the fictional novel. Her mentions of The North Star and more make the fictional story feel real, which I think makes it a better historical fiction novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the story reads as believable because of how Beloved is largely a symbol of the guilt Sethe feels. I'm not saying Morrison intended her to be interpreted as a figment of Sethe's imagination, but the fact that she's so closely tied to the plot and not just some cheesy horror movie villian makes the novel come off as more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree, Beloved feels less like fiction because of the connection to past and present in 124. Beloved brings back the horrible memories of slavery and shows how the memories follow. She is a really important character and has reason to be there. @Jacob I like how you said she isn't just a cheesy horror movie character

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I agree, Beloved feels less like fiction because of the connection to past and present in 124. Beloved brings back the horrible memories of slavery and shows how the memories follow. She is a really important character and has reason to be there. @Jacob I like how you said she isn't just a cheesy horror movie character

      Delete