Monday, November 6, 2017

The Supernatural in Beloved

When we first began the novel, Beloved, Mr. Heidkamp introduced it as a slavery novel with a ghost story tied in. Because I am definitely one to judge a book by it's cover (something I need to work on, I know), I was very skeptical. I am not one to enjoy sci-fi or any sort of fantasy story. However, my perspective flipped after I began reading. 

Beloved is not your average ghost story. Personally, I would not classify it as a ghost story, regardless of the fact that there are spirits involved. The depth of the ghost- Sethe's dead baby Beloved- goes much deeper than your average ghost. 

I have not decided for myself whether I believe Beloved is a ghostly spirit that can be seen by Sethe, Paul D., and Denver, or if she is a reincarnated Beloved in a different body. Regardless of what form she is, she is another fully developed character, just as much as anyone else. 

My favorite aspect of Morrison's writing is how the story slowly pieces together over time. We first learn about Beloved, without knowing her name, as a spirit that haunts Sethe's house. However, we later learn that she is Sethe's dead daughter that apparently died from her throat being slit. So far, we have not learned more details of her death, but Beloved eventually surfaces as a human body.

Beloved's character is "born" when she emerges from the river. Water historically symbolizes rebirth which is very fitting for Beloved's situation. After Beloved becomes alive, she creates chaos in Sethe's house- clashing with Paul D. and enticing Denver and Sethe. We know that there is an underlying issue between Beloved and Paul D. and we know that Denver feels strongly connected to Beloved and is heartbroken when she threatens to leave. 

I have been enticed by the development of Beloved and I can only expect her to grow as a character from here. Toni Morrison has successfully changed my opinion of "ghost stories" and has inspired me to explore art and literature outside of my comfort zone.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Most horror novels I have read never focus on the ghost's personality. The ghost character is usually pretty flat. But in Beloved, she is complex. She has relationship problems and struggles with her identity of being a daughter and this a new reincarnated woman. She goes from being 2 to 19 without any warning. It cannot get more complex than that.

    ReplyDelete