Wednesday, November 1, 2017

A Literary Work Worth It

Though I am undeniable a lover of reading, there have been times when I have attempted to read books called "great works of literature" and been very disappointed. Often books that are viewed as "literature" seem to be droning tales asserting the author's vast vocabulary and not much else. Beloved is a very welcome reminder that this is far from always being the case.
I have not yet finished the book, but I can't stop reading it. It's unlike anything I've ever read before. It tells a complex and thrilling narrative with the most beautiful, flowing language I've ever seen. It manages to use archaic language in a way that's timelessly accessible, and it's incredibly complex but not convoluted in a way that keeps you from understanding it.  This book, unlike others I have been taught in school, is historical but not at all written like an essay. It completely transports you into its dark and entrancing world, and reminds you that this is a world people were forced to live in not too long ago.
Beloved is an excellent reminder for any student of what literature really means. It has completely exceeded my very high expectations and is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite books. I hope everyone else reading it has a similar experience.

3 comments:

  1. I read this book a few years ago but found it challenging to keep up with the POV changes and the supernatural concept. However, re-reading it now I like the book even more and can understand it in a profoundly different way than I did before. And I think that a lot of people are readily enjoying this reading assignment because of Morrison's writing style and concepts/ideas she exhibits in Beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised how much I actually enjoy reading Beloved because like you, I cant stop reading it as well. I agree with you on the part about how it manages the use of archaic language. I never really noticed that until I read your blog post but I think that is very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I find this novel extremely interesting and Morrison's writing never fails to impress me, it can be difficult to keep up with at times. Due to its complexity, it requires a lot of rereading to fully understand at least in my opinion. In order to reread multiple times, that is what I lack...time. I wish I had more time to fully grasp a novel such as this one.

    ReplyDelete