Thursday, September 25, 2014

Your Life Doesn't Matter (but neither does Anyone's)

     So, after two class periods that questioned the purpose of life and how to measure how great a life was, I'm just flabbergasted by my own thoughts. Gee how I hate psychology and how my brain feels after it. But as I returned home from school and scrolling through Spotify for some new music, I found this band named General Ghost. I wouldn't describe them as a well known band, so I listened and really enjoyed their song "If Then." When I connected the English discussion to the song, I looked up the lyrics and found that they said the following: 
If you never lose nothing
If you never really lose nothing
Then you never lose

If never tried to quit
Holding on to what will make you sick
Then you never quit

I'd rather fail every time
Then to know I'd never tried
Never lived, never died
Just for an easy life, life, life.

If you never love someone
If you never really love someone 
Then you never love

If you never want to feel
Anything that ever seems too real
Then you never feel

I'd rather fail every time
Then to know I'd never tried
Never lived, never died 
Just for an easy life, life, life.
     Combining these lyrics and the idea of Existentialism creates an interesting parallel. The simple wording of "If you never lose nothing... then you ever lose" seems similar to the idea of if you never really break out of the systems you live in, you never lived. Although the singer probably did not expect his lyrics to match with the radical idea of Existentialism, their similarity is uncanny.
    Now personally, I find the idea of Existentialism to be stupid and pointless. If people try to act independently to break systems, they are just joining another system. Simple as that. I'm. Not. Breaking. A. Typing. System. By. Typing. Like. This. WritinginthismanneronpurposeorbecauseIfeellikeitdoesn'tmakemeanExistentialist. Who is to tell me that everything in my life for success and relationships is pointless. Some old dead French smoker whose writing is just like someone else's doesn't mean his life is better or fuller than mine. There are 7 billion or so people on the Earth and telling people to live like recluses in caves is a regression of social progress and would lead to a nomadic lifestyle. Whoever thinks that living like it's 10,000 BC where nobody reaches 40 and nobody cares about if you were by yourself or with others, be my guest. In the end, your life won't matter anyway, or mine, or anyone's. Generations before you and after you will pass on and you'll just be a rock surrounded by other forgotten people.

1 comment:

  1. I really like you're opinion on how existentialism is unessential to success. I also like how you make the point that there are many systems all over and breaking one of them won't make you an existentialist. It is harder than one would think to become one. I also agree that it would be pointless to join this philosophy because you loose the ability to feel what will give you advantages and happiness even though it may be masking suffering.

    ReplyDelete