Thursday, September 25, 2014

What gives your life meaning?

Before we began the lecture on existentialist philosophy, I felt pretty confident in what I felt provides meaning in my life.  Family, love, God and my faith: all examples of what I thought provided the meaning in my life. Yet, with a swish of an expo marker, I was told that these were just social constructs I was buying into. To be an existentialist, it appears one must come to acknowledge these social constructs and bypass the system to become an entirely radical subject. Sure, it sounds interesting to be in complete and utter control of your life and the choices you make, but I wasn't convinced that I would necessarily find that preferable to the idea of continuing to find influence in the social systems I am currently apart of. I have realized over the last two days that, yes, my life choices and the way I think is influenced by the systems that I willingly participate in. But, if I find satisfaction in knowing that I am in fact being influenced by the systems I am a part of, then I don't think it is something that needs to be reversed.

No matter what, life involves inexplicable and random suffering. Although I do see that I may mask the reality of some of life's random pain with my relationships with others and my faith, I am not willing to denounce those things to grasp that the only true meaning of life is life itself. I think that what is most important and what was, in my opinion, the goal of Mr. Heidkamp's lecture was to show us that the everyday systems that we are involved in do have an influence on the way we live. I think his point was to show us that there is another side to life, which is the side in which we are entirely subjective. I feel that as long as we acknowledge the truth of what is and isn't having an influence on us, as well as the impact it has on us in terms of whether or not we are comfortable and content with that influence, then we are free to personally choose whether or not we want to continue our participation in those systems.

1 comment:

  1. I really like this approach to existentialism as a complete way of life. I agree that there are ways to acknowledge that this alternate view exists and that it is important to be aware of it. I think that the discussion of existentialism has a way of almost being degrading to us by marking us simply as contracts created by people other than ourselves, especially when we grow up with the sense that our individual dreams, ideas, and work are what are going to power us through life.

    ReplyDelete