Thursday, September 25, 2014

Why Break Social Constructs?

What is the true reward of going outside the "social constructs" or systems of life? Why become an existentialist? After the discussion we had in class and having had time to think about it outside of class, I cannot see a true reward in becoming an existentialist. Sure, I see how we might be part of "systems" and how these systems can shape our lives, but leaving this system and normal life does not seem appealing. From what I got, becoming an existentialist means detaching yourself from the human population. If there is to be truly no influence on a person and for them to completely control themselves and their future, they must be alone. You must let go of everything you have been living with and for for your entire life. I feel like breaking the wall of social constructs has become too much of a social construct itself. I am perfectly content with how I/we live now; sports, religion, relationships, love, education, all these things put under the category of social constructs are what I  enjoy the most in life. Maybe I have been put into sports or brought up to believe school is important, but I do not have a problem with any of it, I  have no inclination to go "outside the box". The reward in my point of view of becoming an existentialist and becoming completely independent in mind is nothing special. I enjoy all the "social constructs" that we live in, and maybe it is just because we know nothing else, but I am fine with that.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. With or without subscription to Existentialism, we are going to have pain and suffering, but you don't have to be an Existentialist to recognize that suffering. Existentialism seems to require detachment from caring about things in life, which is what all of our construction require. That caring is a major part of what puts happiness into a life, as well as providing pain and suffering. So to me it's a choice between recognizing that suffering and A) living without a return of happiness (Existentialism), or B) risking the pain tied to caring anyway but also reaping happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conformity isn't a bad thing. People want to live and learn, live and love, form meaningful relationships, and experience all the positive sensations that existentialism condemns. If becoming an existentialist requires acknowledging life is meaningless (and therefore not worth living) what have you gained? I'd rather live and be happy just like you said than see the world "realistically" and go from there. It's just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't feel like conformity to these social constructs is a bad thing, but I also feel like it would be foolish to dismiss existentialism altogether. In my eyes, the benefit of existentialism is the fact that you are able to recognize how the world works, and how social constructs tend to run our lives. It is the ability to acknowledge what has control over your actions, and whether you are okay with that being the case. By knowing how you function, you open up the ability to change the way you think and live into the way that you desire. It's mostly an introspective thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is possible to be an individual within the system. You don't necessarily have to become a hermit to be an individual. I have no desire to drop out of school, or move into the woods. I am probably some sort of stereotype but I really do not care. I am going to be the most interesting person within that stereotype. People need other people and becoming an existentialist just does not seem possible especially today. I think people can gain a sense of consciousness and understanding of the world from within social systems.

    ReplyDelete