Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Assume: Makes an ___ Out of "U" and Me

While rereading our short stories in preparation for the upcoming test, I realized a common mistake that I made. I continuously assumed things. I assumed what another was character was thinking, I assumed what one character was going to do to the other, I assumed things that I should have waited to find out from the author. Nelson Barry, a main character from "Old Woman Magoun" by Mary E. Wilkins Freeman, loses his daughter in a bet to his friend, Jim Willis. I automatically assumed the worst was to be done to her by Willis. I immediately went to the most negative end of the possibilities spectrum- pedophilia. However, this assumption isn't without merit- Freeman purposefully described the character in a mysterious, almost creepy way that did not accentuate the positive aspects of Jim Willis.

Assumptions, or inferences? Now, assumptions may make a donkey out of you and me, but inferences on the other hand clarify the more secretive hidings of a piece of literature. In Freeman's case, my assumption about Jim Willis's intentions was truly an inference. Freeman didn't state, "Willis is a pedophile." She described him holding Lily's hand, how Lily reacted to his presence around her. Also, Nelson Barry lost his daughter in a bet to Willis... I highly doubt that a young girl won in a bet is getting a full scholarship to school or a brand new horse...But there it is again! The assuming! In all honesty one will never know the truth about what would have happened to Lily and that is the miraculous mystery of literature- it is up to ones' self to decide and decipher what will happen to a little girl and a strange man.

6 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you mean, I make assumptions when I read constantly, however, sometimes they are incorrect. I agree with you when you say that assumptions and inferences are important except sometimes you have to be careful that you don't infer too much and miss the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good point. I never considered how much of an impact assumptions have on your reading and how you interpret a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this, but in the story, if Willis wanted a 14 year old girl as his possession for Nelson owing him debt, it's hard not to assume that there is some pedophilia involved... However, like you said, you can never assume.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Evan in that I think that there is evidence in the text to support the idea that Willis is a pedophile. And, because there is evidence, I think that is more fairly described as an inference rather than an assumption.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mills, I think you make a really a good point. I definitely make assumptions when I read, especially when reading a story for the second time. It's not something that is easy to realize.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Especially in short stories like these where the story as a whole is concealing some hidden value or meaning it is hard not to make assumptions or inferences. I caught myself constantly trying to predict what Ned was going to do in The Swimmer, or assuming Carter felt a certain way in The Language of Men. Mills you bring up a great point and your post was well written. Good conversation starter.

    ReplyDelete