Thursday, September 25, 2014

Are relationships and memories really social constructs?

When we discussed the meaning to life and why life matters, relationships and memories somehow fell into the category of made up social constructs. I agree with putting money, education, and gender roles in the "made up by people" part of life. But what I don't understand is why memories and relationships were also put there. Memories are yours to hold and keep because they were your experiences and they are not just stories to tell. They might not be the meaning of life or why life matters, or without them, you don't have a life; but they are most certainly not social constructs because they are a part of who you are.
Relationships are also not social constructs. As Mills said in class, relationships are a mutual agreement between people who connect. Relationships would still be a part of life even without the systems everyone is supposedly a part of. I don't think that relationships and memories were "made" to cover-up the "random, irrational, and inexplicable" pain and suffering that comes with existence.

2 comments:

  1. I also found myself frustrated by this in class. I agree that relationships are not social constructs. However, I think the class was right in identifying that there are social constructs for relationships like family, friendship, and love. Marriage is a social construct that defines a romantic relationship for two people. Likewise, most of us conform to a certain model of family life. Although I don't think relationships are a construct of society, I think society still manages to dictate how they are supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also confused and frustrated by these categorizations at first. However, I have come to accept that relationships may be at least partially dictated by social constructs because it seems that there are certain tacit codes marked on the relationships of lovers, friends, parents, siblings, coworkers, etc. in every society. I am still not buying the idea that memories are social constructs, though. I completely agree with your opinion that memories are entirely personal, and thus, I do not believe that they can be influenced by any sort of social construct.

    ReplyDelete