Friday, September 19, 2014

Break the social barriers!

After last week's presentations, I was puzzled by the reserved social environment that was evident during each of the group's analysis of the story. We spent the week reading and analyzing how social barriers define how each of us present ourselves to the world, yet we failed to recognize their presence within our own classroom. Question after question, there was a dull silence for, at least, the first five seconds. Granted sometimes answers were unclear, if the presentations were given as a written assessment, I predict the discussion about the topic would have more contributors than in class that day.


It was not until the last day when we discussed "The Language of Men" that I recognized the tacit social code connected to talking in class. Carter expresses his recognition of socially acceptable behavior for men, although others may be so engrossed in it they cannot recognize it themselves. I'm not trying to criticize because I am included in the mass of students that submit to the social standard of what is acceptable behavior in class; however, I challenge myself and others to defy it and engage in the conversation. We cannot think that saying the "wrong" thing in class or refuting another's argument is bad because failure and debate are what lead to success. Learning is about questioning the truth and understanding why it is, in fact, true. These stories implicitly apply to our lives today for if they didn't why would we even read them? "The Secret Woman" taught me not to be afraid of my natural tendencies, so here it is. As Michael Jordan said, "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."



1 comment:

  1. I like that you connected it to our class. It is kinda interesting to see how many students don't always engage in the conversation, including myself at times, because of a fear of being wrong. Yet, had it been a writing assignment, everyone would have had a perspective on the story that they would have shared.

    ReplyDelete