Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Tragic Comedy of Edward Scissorhands

In my opinion, Aristotle's definition of a dramatic comedy is very true, and is still shown in works today. In TV and movies, there are tons of moments of dramatic comedy, some go unnoticed while others are more prevalent. I do believe that dramatic comedy is an important art form.

One of my favorite movies, that I have always considered a dramatic comedy is Edward Scissorhands. As strange as this movie may seem, there are so many underlying themes and ideas that really help to prove the points of a dramatic comedy. To go along with Aristotle's defintion, the movie shows ordinary people, a teenage girl named Kim and her family and friends, having their life turned upside down by a robot-human with scissors for hands, making Edward the comic hero. 

The movie focuses on Kim and Edward's life together, and Edward helps to make Kim realize what things in her life and who is important. But, the movie has some dark elements, such as the fact that Edward is constantly taken advantage of because of his lack of social skills, but these things are seen as funny. Edward would be the tragic hero because of his change over the course of the movie, but in the fact that he stays humble and brings a funny light to a pretty otherwise saddening movie is what makes this a tragic comedy.

This movie helps to enhance our understanding of the world. The movie gives such clear lessons about knowing who to have in your life and the problems of judgement. All of this is brought through somethings comedic, tragic, or both. Without the parts of comedy, this movie would be very depressing and not relay the message as well. I really do agree with Aristotle's definition of a tragic comedy and I think that Edward Scissorhands  really does portray this.

4 comments:

  1. I really want to see this movie!! I think Edward scissorhands is the ultimate comic hero because you root for him despite he unique circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that Edward Scissorhands is an example of a dramatic comedy. The dark comedy in the movie always made me feel bad/secondhand stress for Edward, especially in the example you used of him being taken advantage of. I probably wouldnt want to watch this movie if it werent for all the comic relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I like what you said about how Edward continues to interact with people in the movie despite being different because that is exactly what a true comedic hero does. I haven't seen this movie all the way through, but from your post, I can definitely see how it enhances Aristotle's argument. Edward wins support from people despite his unusual traits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I would say that the movie is a "tragic comedy". I would just call it a comedy. I think for it to be a tragedy Edward would have to die at the end and come from a higher position originally.

    ReplyDelete