Thursday, February 4, 2016

Music as Poetry: Message Man

h! Eh! Eh! Eh!
Eh! Eh! Eh! Eh!
No no no no no no (Eh! Eh! Eh! Eh!)
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah (Eh! Eh! Eh! Eh!)
The loser hides behind
A mask of my disguise
And who I am today
Is worse than other times
You don’t know what I’ve done
I’m wanted and on the run
I’m wanted and on the run
So I’m taking this moment to live in the future
Release me from the present
I’m obsessing, all these questions
Why I’m in denial
That they tried this suicidal session
Please use discretion when you’re messing with the message man
These lyrics aren’t for everyone
Only few understand
"Message Man" by Twenty-One Pilots is a poem. The lyrics use rhyming, metaphor, and inference in order for the singer to illustrate his meaning of the song. He rhymes certain phrases that connect with each other, either because of what they are describing or if they are connecting key phrases or ideas. Rhyming allows a listener, or this case reader, to connect all parts of the song because they have a pneumonic device to trigger their memories of other lyrics. In terms of metaphor, the entire song is a metaphor for communication. The singer is trying to explain that because of assumption and blurred lines between people and ideas, a person can be constantly misunderstood. That leads to feelings of anxiety and discourse for most parties involved. Pilots uses inference when describing how people need to be careful with the things they share and who they share them with. He knows from experience that when that doesnt happen, trouble usually follows.

Twenty-One Pilots is a great band, and their whole album "Blurryface" is amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment