Thursday, February 11, 2016

Boring Comedies



While searching on google for a comedy I have actually seen, I had to keep scrolling through the list of movies until I got to “Groundhog Day” made in 1993. I just never watch comedic films because they usually don’t match my sense of humor and aren’t so entertaining. I can’t discredit all comedies but “Groundhog Day” is definitely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I think it was the repetitive nature of the film that really bothered me, but it also wasn’t entertaining to watch the main character improve throughout the film. I prefer less predictable types of entertainment with some sort of evil or interesting twist, so I usually watch thrillers or something.

However, I do enjoy satirical comedic shows like “It’s Always Sunny in Philidelphia,” “Malcolm in the Middle” or “The Office.” I think the main differences between these shows and Aristotle’s idea of a comedy is that it is relatable because the main characters are not necessarily getting any better. The two shows don’t show characters rising, but they portray the realistic, relatable flaws of everyday people. These forms of satire, rather than whatever type of “comedy” a movie like “Groundhog Day” is, are much more worthwhile.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that comedic shows are much better than comedic movies. I have a hard time sitting through entire comedies (movies) because the types of jokes used are so repetitive that it gets old after the first 25-30 minutes, making the length of a comedic tv show perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the difference is that there is no rise in the character's fortune. People can identify with people that fall into the same social pitfalls as they do. Frankly, it's annoying to see some characters rise since they cannot be related to.

    ReplyDelete